Tuesday 23 May 2017

CORFE CASTLE – THEN AND NOW!

Whilst trundling around the village of Corfe Castle in Dorset, I remembered a postcard I've got, showing a view of the castle.
So I decided to take a photo in exactly the same place as the card!

This is the original... An absolutely classic John Hinde postcard!

I blogged before about Hinde's fantastic postcards, and his pioneering ways he used colour and getting rid of things he didn't want in photos.

Taken some time in the 1960s, it has all the usual qualities his cards had. The enhanced colours, any superfluous bits in the street deleted and a random person plonked in the foreground wearing bright colours!

Here is my photo taken recently...
As you can see the view has hardly changed.
But, there are horrible traffic lights and other bits getting in the way of the perfect view.

This is where the influence of John Hinde kicks in, and of course Photoshop!
So I got rid of all the bits I didn't want, the street lamp, traffic lights, shop signs, the bike, even the dead mown grass in the foreground!



Then in typical Hinde fashion, I added the blue sky and I also put back the 1960s lady, in a weird time-travelling way!




Put the caption at the bottom and you now have your very own modern-day John Hinde/Matt ArtPix postcard!!




No comments:

Post a Comment