Saturday 9 December 2017

LAIBACH ON THE TELLY!!!!

I love it when the mainstream dips its toes in to the world of Alternative Music.

This week on BBC4 there was a documentary on one of the finest bands you've probably never heard of.

I imagine a lot TV listings writers frantically Googling the name of this band and panicking at their image, and simply not knowing what on earth to make of them.

The band in question are LAIBACH.




Emerging in the Tito-era Yugoslavia of the early 80s, this band have trodden their own path ever since.
I can't really put into words how important and how amazing they are, just check them out.

I first came across them by accident way back in 1987, seeing a video of their immense version of Life is Life by cheese-rockers Opus. I've been fascinated by them ever since.

They have created a whole universe of music, art, culture and much more.
AND they have the most impressive merchandise stall of any band I've seen! 

The documentary shown this week is of their extraordinary trip to North Korea, to become the first ever band to play Alternative Music in the secretive Communist country.
I can't imagine what the Koreans thought Laibach were all about, I presume they thought they were fellow Communists, but it's a dangerous path to try and pigeon-hole this band into any given category!!
But I think it's fitting that it was Laibach who were the trailblazers.

Check out the documentary:
HERE

And their website:
HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment